Skip to main content

Ysgol Gynradd Y Pwll

Pwll County Primary School Website

Home  Contact Us  Information  Class pages   Letters home  Picture Gallery  School Documents  Councils and Committees  Archive   
School Diary
Vision Values and Aims
Governing Body
Governors' Annual Report
Site Map
Pupil Deprivation Grant

(Safeguarding notes for parents follow at the foot of this page)


What to do if someone is hurting you or your friend.

If someone is hurting you or your friends, there are people who can help you and stop people from making you feel scared or hurt.

You should tell someone you trust:-

• You can tell a teacher, your parents, carers, grandparents or other members of your family who may be able to help, or can tell a friend; and

• Let people help to make things better by stopping the person from hurting you or your friends.

The person in this school who has special responsibility for helping you if someone’s hurting you or your friends is

Mr Trotman

If you would prefer to talk to your teacher or another staff member, that’s ok too.If you feel you can’t talk to any of these, you can talk to one of the following organisations that will have someone who will listen to you:-


a free 24 hour advice line offering counselling and support to young people suffering from abuse. The call won’t show up on your phone bill.

0800 11 11


A free phone line offering support and advice to young people in abusive or difficult situations. The lines are open 24 hours a day and the calls won’t show up on your phone bill.

0808 800 5000

Funky Dragon

Funky Dragon is a peer-led organisation that aims to make sure the views of 0-25 year olds are heard, particularly by the Welsh Assembly Government.


Free and confidential advice and support

08457 90 90 90


Barnardo’s works with vulnerable children and young people, helping them and their families to overcome problems like abuse, homelessness and poverty.

020 8550 8822 (national rate, 8am-6pm Mon-Fri)


Kidscape works with children and young people under the age of 16, their parents/carers and those who work with them to prevent bullying and child sexual abuse.

08451 205 204

Bullying Online

Bullying Online is a website that provides information and support for a wide range of parents, pupils, teachers

and youth organisations.

Wise Kids

Wise Kids is a website that provides information and support internet literacy, proficiency and knowledge of the internet and related technologies.

Notes for Parents or Carers


Parents/Carers should be aware that schools have a responsibility to ensure the well-being of all pupils. This responsibility means that the school:-


• Will have a child protection policy and procedures;

• Should make parents or carers aware of its child protection policy possibly through the school prospectus, and that this may require their child to be referred to the statutory child welfare agencies if they believe that the child or other children may be at risk of significant harm;

• Should endeavour to work with parents/carers regarding the welfare of their child and remain impartial if their child is being, or has been referred.

• Should help parents or carers understand that if a referral is made to social services or the police, it has been made in the best interests of the child and that the school will be involved in any child protection enquiry or police investigation in relation to their child’s welfare and educational progress; and

• Keep the parents or carers informed of the welfare and educational progress of the child.

On 1 September 2006, section 175 of the Education Act 2002 came into effect. This introduces a duty on local authorities, the governing bodies of maintained schools, and the governing bodies of further education institutions, to have arrangements in place to ensure they safeguard children and that such arrangements take account of guidance issued by the Welsh Assembly Government.


Where a professional has a concern about a child, they will, in general, seek to discuss this with the family and, where possible, seek their agreement to making a referral to social services. However, this should only be done where such a discussion and agreement will not place a child at increased risk of significant harm. That advice will be provided by the local social services department in consultation, where appropriate, with the police.


The designated child protection person at the school should clarify with these statutory agencies, when, how and by whom, the parents or carers will be told about any referral. They should also seek advice as to whether or not the child should be informed of the process.


As a parent or carer you may sometimes feel alone but there is usually somebody you can talk to. Caring for children is not always easy and if you’re struggling to cope you may need to ask for help and support to protect your child.


You may find the following helpful:-


• Make time to talk and listen to your child;

• Familiarise yourself with your child’s friends and routine;

• Be sensitive to changes in behaviour;

• Teach your child to feel confident to refuse to do anything they feel is wrong;

• Be aware of your child’s use of the internet and mobile phone to ensure they don’t place themselves at risk.